Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Poor Bleeding Heart

If you are a fan of vintage, and in particular late 1940s fashion, I'm sure you've seen this picture or variations of it:

Source
Well, I came across it in one of my endless scrolls through Pinterest and fell in love with the design.
This sweater and others with different designs were created by Suse in the 1940s for starlets like Esther Williams and Barbara Stanwyck.

You can learn a little more about this designer and her fabulous sweaters through a LIFE Magazine article discussed here on Tuppence Ha'penny.

Seeing as these sweaters cost the equivalent of 600 to 1,000 of today's dollars, the odds of ever finding a real one are very, very slim.

(Unless Esther Williams had a secret summer home in the bowels of Disney World...)

So, I decided to recreate one of my very own.




Luckily I had my grandmother's collection of vintage beads and pearls and some felt laying around, so I didn't really need to purchase much. I also lucked out that I found a black sweater top just a few weekends ago at a garage sale- yay for hoarding!

The process was a combo of fairly simple and very difficult (I have the stabbed fingertips to prove it :-P), but I think the effort was definitely worth it.

Source


It's still too warm to wear it out and about right now, but I couldn't wait to share it as I'm quite proud of the final result! My version is a little different as I only had black and white pictures to go from and the supplies I had access to (plus my limited abilities), but I think I got it pretty close! :-)

I'm looking forward to incorporating it into some outfits come the fall!

-Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Hat doffingly, stop-you-in-your-tracks amazing recreation job. I am in love and awe with this stellar sweater. You really, really knocked it out of the ballpark here, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that design on sweaters all the time and I always loved it. You did an amazing job on it. The design, the beads--everything--is so perfect, and I can't wait to see how you style it in future posts!
    xx Tessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so creative! I have just become aware of this 'bleeding heart' style and it is so interesting! I feel like the fashions of that time were so ahead of their time as most people probably wouldn't expect that to be a popular print from the 40's. You did such an incredible job-it doesn't look like a craft project, it looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete