Thursday, July 31, 2014

Estate Sale Weekend #6, 7, 8, 9, 10...

...well, you get the point.

Here's the thing with my garage sale outings- I go every weekend, but most weekends yield nothing of much interest to talk about so they don't get a post.

The past number of vintage hunting trips haven't been the best. I found a lovely antique hat pin, some Bakelite rings for myself, and a few other bits and bobs, but it's hard for me to form an entire post around one or two small items.

You can understand my plight.

This past weekend was a good (but odd) one, though, so I thought it would be a good time to recap my latest adventures!

On Friday we went to a house where the family owned one of the town's older department stores. I found a beautiful 1940s Fred Perlberg tulle gown there as well as a vintage leather cross-body purse. (I also scored full-sized, unused Bumble and Bumble hair products for $1.00! Woo!)




Unfortunately, that's where most of the fun ends. :-/

Saturday we drove pretty far out of our way to a sale that advertised vintage clothing. We even emailed them the previous night to determine what type of clothing they had, etc., etc., so that we didn't waste our time.

Much to our dismay, we discovered that the community was gated and guarded by a...well, a guard. We told her we were there for a garage sale, but she said that the ad was fake and that there was no sale.

"Um. What?"

It was like some bad episode of "Murder, She Wrote". The tale of the forged estate sale! Apparently she called the house it was "supposed" to be at and they yelled at her that they weren't having a sale. So, she was not letting anyone in. 

Long story short, we were pretty peeved, so we bustled off to the next one where I found a pretty 60s beaded dress (which made the day better):


I figure there was some type of confusion between the first garage saler who arrived at the gate and the guard. Maybe they told her the wrong number or she misheard them because: 

1. Why would the fake ad-putter-on-er answer our questions about the clothing?
2. Why would the ad sound so not fake and kind of boring and typical?
3. And why would a prankster put on an ad for a house in a gated community, knowing full well that no one would be able to get in?

But whatever the case, it was a disgruntling sort of morning for us. Fortunately, most weekends aren't as peculiar as this last one, but sometimes the weirdest things can happen when all you want to do is find some pretty dresses!

At least it makes for some interesting stories, though! :-)

-Melissa

(Oh, and I haven't fallen off the face of the planet! I've just been trying to focus on finishing up school because when I do I'll be finished foreeeevvvveeeerrr! Yay!)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an interesting time! But I agree with you, some people are just so weird. You came away with some pretty great stuff and I adore that blue dress! :)
    xx Tessie

    ReplyDelete