Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chirp Chirp

For those who live in particular parts of the world where summer is ripe with the incessant chirping of cicadas, you know the little buggers well.

Did you know that the insect was actually thought to be a good luck charm?

In the 1930s French women wore cicada brooches to bring themselves luck. The power of the cicada goes back even further, though, to the Chinese who believed the insect was a token of immorality! 

The brooches were done in all sorts of styles, sizes, colors and in different materials from celluloid to metal.

I just think they are so creepy beautiful and would love to find one of my own someday!

Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
Source


They are such interesting representations of Art Deco jewelry!

That probably doesn't make the chirping any less annoying, though.  :-P

-Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Even though bugs really tend to freak me out, I agree that those brooches are just so unique and pretty. The green and yellow iridescent one is just beautiful, and that would be such a cool thing to wear.
    xx Tessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be still my vintage novelty brooch loving heart, these are sublime!!! I was, honest to goodness, just favouriting a few such pins on Etsy myself on the weekend. I'd absolutely love to add one to my collection some day, but for now am content to simply swoon up a storm over these stellar examples.

    Big hugs & many thanks for your wonderfully nice blog comment yesterday,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete