Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Versatile and Liebster-y

Two very kind ladies have nominated me for awards!

'Thank You' to Jenny of Singing Bird Vintage for picking me for the Liebster Award! (Many moons ago! I'm so sorry it's been so long!)



and 'Thank You' to Tessie Jayne of Socks with Sandals for selecting me for the Versatile Blogger Award!



It was very exciting for me, being a new blogger and all, to be picked for such lovely awards! I'm so, so flattered and honored that they would think to pick me!

I decided to combine together the two since they both include lists of fun facts (7 facts for the Versatile and 11 for the Liebster along with answering 11 questions and posing 11 new ones) and make a super list of sorts. It took me so long to figure out what to write, so I hope I don't come off too strange!

1. I'm a extremely long-time, avid blog reader/lurker. My interest in and love of vintage came from being inspired by bloggers' styles! It took me a long time to make my own blog, though. Part of that was because...
2. I'm pretty introverted and have a hard time just jumping into new things. I also think that every time I open my mouth and say something it's bordering the line of perfectly normal and totally insane. I've gotten waaaay better in the last few years, but I'm still quite shy. In stark contrast to this...
3. I love acting. Nothing makes me happier than being on stage. I can't talk like a human being to a Starbucks barista, but give me a script and I'm good to go.
4. I hate fruit candy/desserts. They are a waste of time. If I wanted to taste watermelon, I'll eat a watermelon.
5. I don't like to cook and I am very bad at it. I despise cooking almost as much as I...
6. Despise driving. It's so stressful! (I know, how do I function? I honestly couldn't tell you. :-P)
7. My favorite actress of all time is Katharine Hepburn.
8. Pair her with Cary Grant and it's perfection. They are my fave movie duo!
9. My favorite period of time (fashion-wise) is the 1940s to the 1950s. So classic, well-structured, and the prints of this period are always fantastic!
10. My favorite color combo is mustard and burgundy. Second fave? Mint green and pink.
11. Sometimes when I get an idea of a piece of clothing I want in my head, I can't let it go. I will search and search for it at the best price and with all the little details I want until I find it. Or until I lose vision.
12. I love television and movies. I think I watch TV more than I do anything else. And I am not ashamed of it!
13. I can't say I have a favorite show. I like all different types of genres- historical period pieces, crime drama, sitcoms, oldies, documentaries... I will say that I'm on a Golden Girls kick right now. It's wonderful!
14. My favorite piece of clothing is a full, high-waisted, knee-length skirt. I don't have nearly enough so I'm constantly on a hunt for them, which often circles back to fun fact #11.
15. My favorite animal is the orangutan.
16. My aspiration as a child was to be the next Jane Goodall. And then I realized I would have to go to jungles.
17. Which warded me off because mosquitoes love me. Like...LOVE me. No amount of bug spray can deter them.
18. Reading this back I realize I'm kind of a crazy person. But maybe in a good way?...

Part 2 of the Liebster involves answering some interesting questions!

1. Do you prefer night or day and why? Day. I'm much more of morning person! Probably because I've been getting up early for garage sales for so long.
2. What’s your favorite thing to drink on a blistering hot day? Lemonade Ice Tea, which I think is called an Arnold Palmer?
3. Who is your favorite actor or actress? Whoops- this was in my fun facts! I'll say my modern favorite- Meryl Streep.
4. Have you any hobbies besides blogging? Watching movies! Modern or retro, any genre, any time.
5. What’s your favorite holiday and why? Hm. Christmas, I think. I just love the music and the atmosphere!
6. Do you have a favorite board game? Chutes and Ladders
7. If you could just pick up and go on a week-long trip tomorrow, where would you go? Somewhere really beautiful and serene, but not tropical or hot. Ireland, maybe?
8. Do you like sushi? No. However, I've never tried vegetarian sushi so there might still be a chance!
9. If you could move your birthday to a different part of the year, would you? And if so, to which month? I don't think so. I like having a cool weather birthday!
10. What’s your favorite TV show? Ok, ok, if I had to say, my all-time favorite is Freaks and Geeks. It was so endlessly perfect. One season was just not enough!
11. If you were a dessert, what would you be and why? Baked Alaska! I'm not sure why, but it's the first dessert that popped into my head. I wonder what that says about me.

And I now I get to pose 11 new questions!

1. What's the first thing you think of when you hear the word "vintage"?:
2. If you could have any occupation, what would it be and why?
3. As a child on the playground, what did you want to do first and why?
4. Quick: polka dots or stripes?
5. If you could travel to and land on the moon, would you? Why or why not?
6. Quick: apple juice or orange juice?
7. If you could go back in time and purchase one item to bring back, what would it be and why?
8. If you could go back to any time period and stop one fashion item/trend from being invented or popularized, what would it be and why?
9. Quick: popcorn or peanuts?
10. If you could only either wear 1920s party dresses or 1950s cocktail dresses for the rest of your life, which would you choose and why?
11. If you walked into a packed warehouse of vintage perfection on sale for $1 and only had $1 to spend, which would you buy: a candy bar or bag of chips? :-)

Part of the reason why this was put off for so long was I was too nervous to nominate anyone! I wasn't sure how to approach it or who has done the awards already.
But I'm going to just go for it and nominate:

Jenny of Singing Bird Vintage for the Versatile Blogger Award because of her awesome vintage style and her wonderful vintage movie and celebrity posts!
and
Katie of Butterfly Loves Snapdragons for either award because her outfit posts are always so lovely and she has such inspirational messages in her writing!
and
Shauna of Mid Century Girl also for either because of her amazing vintage outfits and terrific posts about all the great vintage shows she goes to!

If you all have done these already, don't worry about it, unless you'd like to do them again!

I know that's not anywhere close to enough, so I'm going to go rogue and open it up to anyone who'd like to do either! :-)

I know- I'm such a rebel!

Fact #19, maybe? 

(To anyone who does do the award lists - do let me know as I love a fun fact list!)

-Melissa


1 comment:

  1. Great lists! According to the list, it seems like we have a lot in common (being shy, favorite colors, preferring day to night, and loving the 40s and 50s). I'm glad you had fun making the lists; I had fun reading them!
    xx Tessie

    ReplyDelete