Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Estate Sale Weekend #2

Some grown men got yelled at like four year old children this past weekend.
It's not incredibly shocking that people having estate/garage/yard sales are a little...how can I put this...

Persnickety.

In my years of going to sales I have run across the gambit of overwhelmed or jaded garage sale runners.
Usually they are dealers/professionals that have had numerous sales before and had one bad experience with somebody rude or pushy and been tainted for life after that. This isn't the norm, however, and usually people having sales are incredibly nice.

Garage/estate sales are not like thrift stores or antique malls, though. There sometimes isn't a lot of law and order.

Kind of like the Wild West, but with knick-knacks.

My mother and I are as friendly and polite as they come and most of the time people behave perfectly well, so when a pair of older-than-middle-aged men were scolded for looking too early through a screen door at the sale inside, we were slightly shocked and mostly bemused.

They weren't going to break and enter, people. 

Nobody wants your Hummels that bad.

But all that nonsense aside, we had a pretty decent weekend again.




We didn't end up getting anything at the angry-man house, but I found a vintage knit dress, mod lime green coat, an Art Deco style top, and some pretty jewelry at another sale run by a very nice lady. I also got a lovely hand-painted floral porcelain mirror compact at another stop. My mother fared very well and found some antique sterling silverware, mid century pottery, and various other antiques.

Hopefully next weekend nobody will have to go in time out! :-)

-Melissa

9 comments:

  1. There aren't many estate sales around here but I have been to a few storage auctions and have experienced pushy and obnoxious buyers (the ones who deliberately screw around because they want to emulate Storage Wars, gahhh! 0.0). I prefer antique malls for that exact reason! lol
    I love the green coat, those buttons are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to a storage auction. They seem like they'd be too overwhelming for me!
      The best part of the coat is definitely the buttons! They are very pretty!
      -Melissa

      Delete
  2. Haha this post was so funny- "the wild west, but with knick knacks". Loved that. My mom definitely gets tense when she has a garage sale- she always thinks someones going to run away with something if she doesn't keep a sharp eye. And we live in a sleepy, American Dream-esque suburb. It really is tense.

    And I love your finds- that knit dress looks really pretty!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time they are fairly tame, but sometimes they can get intense! Especially if the sale is at a small house and there are a lot of people. Watch out for elbows!
      It is a fab little dress- great mottled grey knit in a 60s wiggle shape!
      -Melissa

      Delete
  3. Marvelous finds! The bow bracelet in particular is melting my heart. It makes me think of something that a 1950s ballerina might have sported, if they wore much jewelry on stage that is, that is.

    Despite a large senior population on this area (one of the highest in Canada - we're famous for it even), there are, much to my chagrin, exceedingly estate sales around these parts, let alone ones that house vintage items any more. The "oldest" estate I've been to so far here was a 70s time warp, complete with the biggest, coolest indoor 60s/70s sunken hot tub I've ever seen. Even there though, save for one piece of late 50s/early 60s furniture (a dresser), everything was "newer" in the sense of being 70s. Fun experience, but the only thing I bought was a teeny, tiny cute ceramic snail figurine for $0.25 that one of the people hosting the sale seemed genuinely shocked that anyone wanted to buy (little did she know, I've always adored snails and items depicting them). I keep hoping to hit on the vintage "mother load" estate sale one of these days. Surely, it has to happen eventually! (#perpetualoptimist)

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your wonderful comment on this week's outfit post. I agree that the scarf would look fab with red accessories. Had I not opted for that dress, a (much better fitting!) dark red 50s shirtwaist was my second choice, so clearly we were both thinking along the same colour palette lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at your photo again and see that it's actually a short-ish necklace, no? (Not a bracelet, I mean.)

      Delete
    2. I'm actually not quite sure what it is! At first I thought it was a necklace, but it's too short. Then, I figured it was a bracelet, but nope, too long. It's sort of the Goldilocks of jewelry. I'm planning on adding some chain and fashioning it into a necklace. I think I like it as a bracelet more, but that would require removing bows, which would be very sad as it is really pretty!

      Thanks for sharing that estate sale story! I'm sorry it wasn't more exciting! That sounds very typical, however, even for as many sales as I've been to. Sometimes the items are even more modern, like, from 2 months ago. The mid-century stuffed or clothing filled sales are few and far between. I really appreciate them when they do come, though! I keep on trying to find those great ones, because you really never know until you're there! :-)
      -Melissa

      Delete
  4. great finds.
    when i was visiting the states last summer we tried to find some nice estate sales. sadly we didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a shame! That often happens to me, too! Often times I go to more disappointing ones than great ones, but it's always worth a try! :-)
      -Melissa

      Delete