Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Novelty Prints

One of the benefits of being a student (besides education, I guess...) is having access to archives of magazines and newspapers, including the outstanding Vogue archives, with issues dating all the way back to the 1920s. I love flipping through old advertisements and magazines from the 1940s and 1950s so having access to this eye candy is wonderful. Nothing catches my eye more than a retro novelty print and there are plenty to see, especially in the 1940s issues. Many of them done in summer cotton, rayon crepe, or silk.
How dreamy would it be to see some of these dresses in person, let alone own them! I'd be a lot poorer, but man, would I be happy!
These are a few of my favorites in back issues of Vogue, taken from the Vogue archives...


                                            Vogue 111, Issue 5, March 15, 1948, pg.147, photo by Frances McLaughlin
That cherry print! Yes, please!

Read on for more of my faves as well as a sneak preview of some novelty prints coming to the shop this week!



Vogue 111, Issue 5, March 15, 1948, pg.153, Photo by Richard Rutledge

Vogue 107, Issue 7, April 1, 1946, pg.165, Photo by Horst P. Horst
Vogue 103, Issue 6, March 15, 1944, pg.113, Photo by JOFFE
                                
The print is gorgeous, but the best part of the second dress is the hood! And in rayon crepe?! The third dress is covered in Greek columns and I love how they styled it- letting the print shine!

      Vogue 95, Issue 6, March 15, 1940, pg. 68-69, Photos by John Rawlings
                                                     

This particular page was amazing- apple print, crest print, polka dots, Balenciaga, and yes, that dress in the bottom right corner is penguin print! Come on!

I haven't been fortunate enough to come across any of the Vogue dresses, but I have been lucky in stumbling upon some novelty prints of my own, including one by the Swirl company! All of these beauts will be popping into the shop this week!



- Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment